Backwards Planning, Chapter 3 Reflection

In reflecting on the third chapter of this book, I really benefited from the graphics and words of advice offered. It was helpful to see how, in a simplified version, the use of backwards planning is applied to an actual unit of study. Sometimes, conceptually it makes sense, but I have a hard time imagining how I would actually lay out the information I’d need to teach a unit. 


The book also mentioned that the process of backwards planning is a lot of back-and-forth and give-and-take and it’s almost impossible to get it right the first time. That calmed a lot of anxiety I had about trying to piece together my own lesson - especially being the perfectionist I am. 


Question 3:

A teacher’s greatest resource can be his or her colleagues. What can you and your colleagues do to help create a culture of professional collaboration within your school?


When I read about planning the unit with another teacher / co teacher, it almost made me sad we can’t do that in this class. But I did realize I will have the resources and experience of my host teacher during the semester. In the future, when I’m the sole teacher in a classroom, I think partnering with someone in my department/grade level would benefit how I teach and lesson plan. 


Almost every school has “professional development days” where teachers are collaborating with administration and one another to make the way they teach more effective. Outside of that structured professional development time, I would want to partner with another educator that deals with the same types of students or subject area as me. There may already be “buddy systems” in place for teachers, but if not, this is the plan I would resort to.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Case Study 6.1 - Black Lives Matter

Case Study 5.3 - Teaching Thanksgiving

Backwards Planning: Chapter 1 Reflection